Digital Detox – Why You Should Do It Too!

You’ve all heard of the different types of detox; Food detox, skin detox …etc. But have you heard of a digital detox?

Digital detox means taking a break from everything digital for a while. I know I sound a little extreme, but hear me out. We’re all guilty of ignoring people and situations because we’re so focused on our screens (phones, laptops, iPads…). Being a blogger, I feel the need to stay on top of my social media game 24/7. It’s unrealistic, and without noticing, it took a toll on me.

I became too anxious about always checking my phone, replying to comments and emails, liking and posting pictures. It was just too much! My mood started changing and honestly, I became a different person. A person who’s always anxious overwhelmed and absolutely taken over by social media. It was time for a change.

So one night, out of the blue, I decided to leave my phone at home while enjoying dinner with R. He was shocked but pleased to have my full attention for once. It was a welcome relief for the both of us!

It doesn’t have to be for a long period of time (although if you can do it for a stretch I salute you!), but a few hours a day is a good start. Leave your phone, your laptop, turn off all screens and just enjoy it. Enjoy time with your partner, friends, family, pets or even some alone time.

With never-ending social media outlets popping up left and right, it’s easy to get consumed by it. For your own’s sake and mental health, I encourage you to take an hour off from everything digital today. Eventually making a daily or even a weekly habit will help reduce your stress levels. I guarantee it!

So go ahead and start your digital detox!

• January 25, 2017 / 10:11 am

Thank you Mahryska! How I miss Dubai?! Have a great day hun!

Tamara,

1. January 23, 2017 / 5:05 am

I could definitely need a digital detox every now and then! It’s too easy to get caught up in the world social media offers, but moments irl will always be better. So thank you for the reminder doll! Xx

• January 25, 2017 / 10:11 am

Sometimes we need someone to remind us, glad I did!

Tamara,

2. January 23, 2017 / 6:02 am

Gosh, this is so true Tamara!! It gets so overwhelming.
    In fact, that’s exactly how I felt this summer. I’m not sure how to change it, but I like the idea of digital detox. And remembering that the world won’t end if I’m not working on my social media?! LOL
    jodie

• January 25, 2017 / 10:13 am

Digital detoxing is definitely one way to do it. I’m also working on a follow-up post about time managing when it comes to social media, that helped me a lot too!

Tamara,

• January 25, 2017 / 10:43 am

Thank you for reading Nina. Have a fab week!

Tamara,

• January 25, 2017 / 11:10 am

Thank you Samantha!

Tamara,

3. January 23, 2017 / 8:01 am

Oh yes, I totally get you, social media and blogging can be exhausting! I break is much needed from time to time.
    I love your outfit by the way, the shirt is really pretty! 😀

• January 25, 2017 / 11:11 am

Thank you Lola! It can get exhausting really quickly yes!

Tamara,

• January 25, 2017 / 11:11 am

Thank you Monica.

Tamara,

• January 25, 2017 / 11:12 am

Hahaha. We should all do it from time to time!

Tamara,

• January 25, 2017 / 11:15 am

Have a great day Gemma!

4. January 23, 2017 / 10:21 am

I totally agree with you, social media can interfere with our relationships and being a blogger it’s worse cause we are constantly on there checking emails and so on. Love your outfit by the way.

Bernie, xx
    The Style Fanatic

• January 25, 2017 / 11:20 am

Thank you Benita, as bloggers I feel the pressure is higher than average.

5. January 23, 2017 / 11:22 am

A great post and a very health one too , I love my blog, social media and my job, however life isn’t associated with a screen. The only way to live life is to switch off, and yes that means everything. On honeymoon I took many photographs, but I didn’t post or document during the honeymoon itself really because I wanted to have alone time with my husband, shut off and literally not look at a screen.

It’s great to have a digital detox, you also love it when you come back to social media and post some amazing heart felt content after a refresh!

Laura xo

• January 25, 2017 / 11:21 am

Totally agree with you, Laura. I’m glad you turned off everything and just lived in the moment during your honeymoon!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:22 am

It’s hard at first but trust me you’ll feel so much better!

6. January 23, 2017 / 11:55 am

I couldn’t agree more, beautiful! I’ve often felt the same, even more so now that I’m pregnant and have little energy, but feel the need to always be present online, it’s tough. You’re so right in suggesting a digital detox. I’ve done one a couple of times and it really just puts me at ease and sets things back into perspective. As for your outfit, I absolutely adore that blouse, it’s so pretty! Thanks for sharkng, beauty, and I hope you have the best week ahead!

Xo,

• January 25, 2017 / 11:24 am

Glad you agree with me Jalisa, I feel mom need it more than others. When the child comes, you should be focusing on them and enjoying those precious moments. Some mothers seem to be just focused on capturing and sharing those moments instead of living them. I’m sure though, you’re going to be a great mom!

7. January 23, 2017 / 12:48 pm

You’re not the only one who feels this way and I recently noticed more and more bloggers are speaking up about the importance of digital detox. I have been doing it too and it’s refreshing to be in the moment instead of staring at the screen constantly.

Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

• January 25, 2017 / 11:25 am

Glad you have joined the detox!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:26 am

Yes we do! I’m “forgetting” it more and more these times.

• January 25, 2017 / 11:27 am

Thank you!

8. January 23, 2017 / 2:36 pm

The post is fantastic! Have a nice day:)

irinathayer.com

• January 25, 2017 / 11:28 am

You too!

9. January 23, 2017 / 2:52 pm

Yes! I digital detox too. I also noticed a change in my mood that I knew I just need to take a time out from it. It makes such a big difference!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:29 am

It does make a huge difference indeed!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:29 am

Thank you Brandi!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:32 am

Thank you Kyanna!

10. Heidi
    January 23, 2017 / 5:22 pm

I couldn’t agree more and could seriously use a digital detox right now! Thank you for the reminder, you look amazing!

Heidi || Wishes & Reality

• January 25, 2017 / 11:33 am

Go ahead and do it then Heidi!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:34 am

Just do it!! Even if it’s just for a couple of hours, trust me you’ll feel so much better!

11. January 23, 2017 / 10:40 pm

I started doing pretty regular mini digital detoxes about a month or two ago and it makes me feel so much better, more grounded and more positive throughout the day. If I can help it I try not to carry my phone with me everywhere and when I’m at home I’ll either be on my laptop or phone (or neither) but I’m literally never ever on both at once and that really makes a difference too in terms of not feeling overwhelmed by social media especially.

Julia // http://www.thesundaymode.com

• January 25, 2017 / 11:35 am

Yess!! I’m so happy for you. It does make a big difference of how we feel!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:35 am

Thank you Sophie!

12. January 24, 2017 / 5:21 am

Oh wow I have done this on more than one occasion with my church. We aim to take the time out to focus on our faith and get closer to God, and we do it for 21 days. It always revives me.
    I find that I become too anxious about checking my phone and it is actually quite irritating. So it really helps. Glad to see someone else doing it too 🙂

Mich x

• January 25, 2017 / 11:36 am

It can get quite irritating… just like an addiction!

13. January 24, 2017 / 7:08 am

Oh gosh I could have written this post myself, social media is definitely taking a toll on my mood and personality too! A digital detox every now and again is exactly what I need!
    x Emily

• January 25, 2017 / 11:37 am

More and more people are feeling the same, especially us bloggers.

• January 25, 2017 / 11:37 am

Thank you for stopping by Annessa!

14. January 24, 2017 / 7:49 am

A digital detox sounds amazing- I find it hard to unplug, for sure.

PS loving this look on you, lady!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

• January 25, 2017 / 11:38 am

It’s hard at first, but you’ll feel so much better afterwards!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:38 am

Thank you Amanda!

15. January 25, 2017 / 3:33 am

You’ve got a good message right there, I can relate 🙂 I’m trying to do it too on the weekends. I like your outfit, you look lovely.

• January 25, 2017 / 11:39 am

Glad you’re doing it too Mercy!

16. January 25, 2017 / 6:38 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I was actually thinking of taking a daytrip somewhere without taking the phone. :):) No google maps, nothing.
    Just travel, pure travel. 🙂 Maybe I’ll do it this upcoming WE.
    xx finja | http://www.effcaa.com

• January 25, 2017 / 11:39 am

Yessss, do it!!!! I love that idea, I’m going to do it this weekend!

• January 25, 2017 / 11:40 am

You definitely should Elise!

17. January 25, 2017 / 8:28 am

I’ve never done a major digital detox but I do like to get away from my phone, even if for a few hours! I usually do this for date nights or when I’m hanging out with friends I haven’t seen in a while!

18. January 25, 2017 / 9:18 am

I totally agree with you! Digital Detox is so important since most of us are simply glued to their phones…My rule is that no phones are allowed on the table while having dinner and weekends are minimized too which I why I rarely post on the weekends!
    xoxo, Vanessa

• January 25, 2017 / 11:40 am

Thank you Heather!

19. Christianne
    January 25, 2017 / 10:35 am

I love this post. Indeed we need this detox. It is healthy amd O love your blouse by the way
    xo, christianne

20. January 25, 2017 / 11:41 am

Thanks, Christianne. I’m glad you liked the post!

21. January 25, 2017 / 1:51 pm

Sounds like an amazing idea babe! I definitely got to try a subtle version of a digital detox during my trip to Cuba because its really hard to get internet there… the lack of internet really made me appreciate the trip and experience more 🙂

XO Jessi,

22. Yiota
    January 25, 2017 / 9:41 pm

I totally agree, having some time off social media is necessary and I always try to do that at least once a month. I go out and enjoy nature, take long walks with my dog, visit friends and having a chat like the old times is the best.

Love your top 🙂

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

23. January 26, 2017 / 2:26 am

It is so easy to be taken over by social media – completely agree with you, it is a good idea to take a break from it every now and then! Gorgeous outfit!

24. January 26, 2017 / 5:14 pm

It’s always great to fully enjoy someone’s company without the distraction of phones, computers…
    Whenever I go out I have this rule of not using my phone, only looking at it to check the time if needed, so I can really enjoy myself.
    Love your outfit, so on point.

25. January 27, 2017 / 1:45 pm

Great post Tamara! Sometimes we need to disconnect digitally and reconnect physically (with the ones we love)! Thanks for sharing such a personal experience! I must say you are looking gorgeous in all your photos! Hope you have a wonderful weekend sweetie! xo

Luci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity.

26. February 5, 2017 / 10:25 am

You are so right about this! I’ve taken months off because I let myself get so caught up in blogging and keeping up, and it does change my mood. It is so important to find that balance, and I love that you shared these realizations.
    Also, loving this look! Your step hem is fab. Is this a DIY? If so, I’d love to see how you got them to look like this. I’ve seen this done so many ways, but I think this may be my favorite!
    XO! Gina

27. February 27, 2017 / 2:34 pm

I resisted buying a smartphone for a long time. At the time, I didn’t see the lure of it, I saw a phone as just a phone, to make and receive phone calls. I also noticed people keep checking their phones, and I thought, wow, they are well addicted. Eventually, I got an iPhone, and unfortunately, I became a phone zombie. With so many apps, like WhatsApp, I end up checking frequently and also browsing whenever I have the chance.

I’m a blogger too, so I totally understand what you mean about it being difficult Tamara. I should have a detox too, at least for a few hours.