How Exercising Made Me Feel Better

It’s no secret that working out is good for your body, but it’s also good for you soul too. Being healthy is a journey, it’s not a specific point in time. By healthy, I don’t just mean exercising, but living a complete and healthy lifestyle.

A little over a year ago, I was very unhappy with my figure. I’d only gained a few pounds, but I was unfit. I was in my mid 20’s and I started to feel changes in my figure. I knew that from now on, I would have to work hard to get in shape.

Being fit wasn’t my only goal. I was getting really tired throughout the day, and my energy levels were low. My mood changed and that affected my work, my life, and even my skin. Something needed to change…

So I made the decision to be healthy, all around. I started going to the gym slowly but regularly. After a while, I additionally began going to classes. Now I go to classes twice a week and to the gym 3 times a week (mostly).

Being active and working out made me also want to eat better. I stopped counting calories and just focused on balanced healthy meals and snacks. Counting calories gave me a bad relationship with food, and made me obsess over every calorie. I actually gained weight doing that. I was getting less nutrition and didn’t have the energy to exercise! I now believe that balance is key. I make sure to get a lot of protein in my diet, healthy fats, and good carbs also lots of vegetable and fruits. I also make sure to indulge from time to time and not deprive myself. As I said, balance is key!

When I started working out, I started seeing a difference in my body shape. Numbers on a scale stopped mattering to me, so I stopped weighing myself. I was incorporating weights into my routine, so undeniably I was gaining muscle weight but losing fat… and that was my goal. It’s been months since I weighed myself, and I haven’t felt better. Numbers are just numbers. I want to feel and look fit, not a “skinny”.

Although I still have a lot of changes and adjustments to do, I’m definitely on the right track. I can proudly say that I’m the fittest and healthiest I have been. Working out made me realize that I need to change my views on food and body image. It made me feel happier, motivated and more comfortable in my own skin. I know we all go through diet phases, but trust me if you start working out and commit to it everything else will fall into place.

1. April 10, 2017 / 5:50 am

You look great, and it sounds like you made the changes for all the right reasons! You’re right, how we feel is so much more important than the number on the scale. 🙂

Hope you have had a relaxing weekend and have a nice start to the week.

Away From The Blue Blog

2. Shauna
    April 10, 2017 / 6:14 am

I totally agree with you. The numbers on the scale are lame! I don’t weigh myself either. Taking classes is my favorite way to get my excise in too!

Shauna

3. April 10, 2017 / 6:18 am

Tamara-you body looks so fab & I am an avid runner (I went through the same slump you did my soph. yr in college) so I totally understand the power that working out-living a healthy lifestyle has on me!!

Get it girlie!

Katelyn/www.theyellowspectacles.com

4. April 10, 2017 / 6:47 am

I love you for writing this post, Tamara! Yes, I think we all should stop consistently weighing ourselves because as you said, it’s number. As long as we are healthy, eating and exercising then there’s no need to obsess about our weight. I’m weighing myself once a week now and as you said, it’s less stressful and I’m much happier!

5. April 10, 2017 / 2:15 pm

I applaud you for doing something about the way you were feeling about your health and body. Often times, we’ll feel down about something that we have control over, yet we don’t do what we can to improve the situation and the way we feel about it. You look absolutely amazing and I admire your dedication. You’re right, it’s more of a lifestyle change and not about numbers on a scale or how many calories we’re taking in, it’s about feeding our bodies what’s healthy and will help us in the long run. Thanks for sharing such a motivational post, beauty, and I hope you have the best week ahead!

6. April 10, 2017 / 9:50 pm

Yes! I am now starting to try to get back into a workout routine. For me it’s hard finding time but I really want to get in shape and healthy!

7. April 11, 2017 / 4:06 am

This is me right now, I don’t want to look skinny but fit and I also experienced low energy and mood changes when I wasn’t excercissing . Now I’m slowly working out and I hope to keep it up. This is a great inspiration, thanks for sharing.

Bernie, xx
    The Style Fanatic

8. April 11, 2017 / 9:54 am

An active lifestyle is where it’s at! Love hearing your story, lady- and you look amazing!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

9. April 11, 2017 / 10:52 am

Oh yes, a big difference between looking skinny and feeling healthy. And the latter is definitely what’s important. It’s never about size but about being healthy and feeling healthy. So awesome that you’re in the position too, that’s the way to go babe! Perfect motivation post for spring too, as it always feels like it’s easier to exercise when it’s warmer outside! Xx

10. April 11, 2017 / 11:58 am

Tamara, you look great! Knowing you are on the right track really makes all the difference in energy levels & mood. I used to care soooo much about the scale but you said it perfectly – through healthy living, I stopped worrying about it completely! Great post babe!! xx Shannon

11. April 11, 2017 / 12:15 pm

You look great girl! I agree, working out definitely helps me: mind, body and soul! I have to work out early in the wee hours of the morning because of my crazy schedule. Inlove fun exercise clothing! xx/Madison

12. April 11, 2017 / 12:23 pm

You look absolutely fabulous! And you’re right being healthy is a journey that is mind, body, and soul. All too often we get consumed with that number on the scale when in reality it’s just a number. Being active, eating healthy, and loving yourself is what truly matters. Thanks for sharing with us beautiful!

xo, Jackie
    stylemydreams.com

13. April 11, 2017 / 5:07 pm

I always tell myself to start excising more just to feel better and be proud of the little steps and progress. So worth it!

xoxo from Napa Valley!

Paulina

14. April 11, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Loved reading this as I started working out and eating healthier in past couple of weeks! I think you’re right when you say balance is key and to not deprive yourself of some foods and that it’s okay to indulge once in a while.