How To Restyle Your Dress For A Whole New Look

If you’ve been following my Instagram and blog for a while, you know that I love my dresses. When the weather starts to get warmer, I immediately break out my summer dresses. Although I rotate between quite a few of them, I always like to refresh my look when I wear an old dress.

The easiest way to spice up last season’s sundress is by repurposing it and thinking a little outside of the box. My favorite way to revive an old dress, whether maxi, midi or mini, is by wearing it as a skirt.

Layering it on top with a blouse or shirt will make it look as if it’s a brand new piece. Tie the top in the middle or add a belt to accentuate your waist and enhance the illusion of the dress being a skirt!

It’s a very easy and quick trick to try. Not only it will re-invent your wardrobe but it will also allow you to wear those summer dresses that you love on more colder days.

I bought this dress (see it here) about a year ago and wore it only a number of times. It’s definitely not warm enough in San Francisco to wear it alone, so I decided to pair it with a floral blouse. I also tried this trick when I was in Lebanon with this dress. I just like the look of a tied blouse over a dress. As if you have a dress and skirt all in one piece!

Shopping your own wardrobe is something that we should all do more often. In this fast fashion kind of world, where we are pushed by social media to consume more and more each day, we should take a step back and repurpose the existing items in our wardrobe.

How will you restyle your wardrobe and create new looks?

1. May 17, 2017 / 5:18 am

Love how you styled this look! So pretty for spring/summer and the floral is gorgeous!

Rosy Outlook

2. May 17, 2017 / 9:53 am

I’m totally going to do that with my older dresses! You’ve done such a great job with repurposing your older pieces! Love your style!

xoxo from Napa Valley!

Paulina

3. May 17, 2017 / 10:19 am

Can we talk about how beautiful your top is? Absolutely stunning!! and I love the way it ties together so perfectly with your shoes
    xo | Cindy Elena

4. May 17, 2017 / 10:43 am

I love how you’ve restyled this dress, your floral top is perfect for summer. And your tie up sandals just pull this whole look together.

xo, Jackie
    stylemydreams.com

5. Amy
    May 17, 2017 / 11:04 am

What a smart way to restyle your dress! I just love your style!

6. May 17, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Such a beautiful post, super gorgeous I love it!

Can we follow eachother? Let me know on my blog and I will follow back immediately xo
    BLOG: GorisHelena

7. May 17, 2017 / 5:06 pm

What a great idea – so glad you were able to rework the dress! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

8. May 17, 2017 / 5:50 pm

What a fun combination that is! I love your platform wedges too – it ties the whole look together!

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

9. Shannon
    May 17, 2017 / 6:22 pm

Such a gorgeous spring look! Love that top and cute hat!

<3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

10. miri
    May 18, 2017 / 5:00 am

Hi Tamara,

I love the way you styled this summer dress. And your sandals are stunning. I restyle my old pieces by adding a piece of jewelry or something that is in fashion. It give it a new look.
    X
    Miri

11. May 18, 2017 / 7:15 am

shopping your wardrobe is a great idea nad how cute do you look? Love all of these florals!-Katelyn/www.theyellowspectacles.com

12. May 18, 2017 / 10:44 am

What a great tip, girlie! As much as I love the convince of dresses, I must admit that sometimes I do get bored of them because I feel like there’s only so much you can do with them. Using it as a skirt is such a great idea and can create an entirely different outfit, which especially great when traveling, you get two looks with one piece! I also have to tell you that I’m swooning over those espadrilles, they’re so cute! Thanks for sharing, girlie, and I hope you’re having a great week so far!

13. May 19, 2017 / 1:49 am

Love this look on you!
    Kate x
    themakeupartistschoice.com

14. May 19, 2017 / 9:46 am

I love how you styled it, obsessed with that amazing floral print!

Hugs Bella, http://nouw.com/bellss // Instagram: bellaskoog

15. May 20, 2017 / 4:57 pm

I’m personally not the best person to style my own wardrobe but posts like this help! Really loved your entire outfit, plus you had a beautiful background. I’ll be looking into my own wardrobe to see what I can put together!

Janine | http://www.prettylittledetails.com