Are We All In A Blogging Funk?

It seems that the blogging community has been in the funk lately. Personally, I have been feeling uninspired and while chatting with some blogger friends, I found out that I’m not alone.

We’re stuck in a rut.

What started out as a fun hobby and a creative outlet has turned into something more rigid and not so creative anymore. While originality and creativity were what we strived for at the beginning, now it seems that likes are what fuels this community, and that sucks.

Almost all bloggers started humbly, standing in their backyard, in their bedroom taking pictures of their outfits to share their #OOTD with the world. It was more basic, more grounded. Now, as I mentioned in my last post here, every post is well planned, every pose is calculated. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against that at all. I’m passionate about creating the highest quality content possible. Even if it means planning ahead and going above and beyond to create beautiful visuals.

Dress Free People sold out in yellow available in white, bag Amazon

Additionally, with Instagram’s ever changing algorithms, our hard work is not being as noticed as it used to be. Being a blogger isn’t easy. Having a well curated Instagram feed takes a lot of time and effort. Unfortunately, these efforts are going to waste as many of our posts are not being seen as much. Yes, numbers aren’t what I strive for, but unfortunately, numbers are somewhat of a validation for our work when it comes to brands and sponsorships.

Being stuck in a rut sucks, but I’m sure it’s just a temporary phase and soon enough I’ll feel motivated again. Have you been feeling the same?

1. August 14, 2017 / 2:38 am

Such an interesting post! Thanks for sharing! Your dress is absolutely amazing!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com

2. August 14, 2017 / 4:08 am

Yes, I feel the same! To be honest, Instagram made everything “fast”: it’s easier leaving a comment on an Instagram pic than reading a post (maybe with more than 30 words! What a thing!). Yes, IG is fun and really useful, but blogs are what is still ours, the space in the web we built with effort and without algorithms or popular profiles. Let’s be strong 🙂
    You look amazing in this dress, btw 😀
    xx Elisa
    DIY & LIFESTYLE BLOG

3. August 14, 2017 / 6:20 am

I’m so glad to hear I’m not the only one that feels this way, Tamara!!
    Sometimes I get so frustrated with social media, Instagram in particular….but hopefully it’ll change and be more fun again. Half the time, it only shows me the same 50 accounts in my feed, and I want to see everyone that I’m following!!!
    I admit, that taking photos in different places now has been quite fun. It’s like we are exploring our own local areas more, and who doesn’t like that??
    XOOX
    Jodie

4. August 14, 2017 / 6:30 am

This post resonates with me as I’ve been feeling the same lately. Instagram was easily my favourite platform but the algorithm has taken the enjoyement out of it both from a personal and blogging perspective. Yet, brands question bloggers use of Instagram pods and comment/liking groups – how else is there content going to appear high up the news feed?
    Jaz xoxo

5. Katherine
    August 14, 2017 / 7:04 am

This totally spoke to me!! I completely agree and I feel like I’m inspired, but anytime I do something “different” from the norm, it isn’t as well received. The algorithm and numbers are draining the life out of blogging! Thank you for your honest post. Your blog is wonderful.

Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com

6. August 14, 2017 / 10:00 am

I totally understand that it’s not about the numbers, but it’s the whole point to reach an audience. Hope you don’t feel this way for long!

Natalie | Natalie’s Alchemy

7. August 14, 2017 / 10:12 am

These photos are gorgeous!! Very well said, Tamara! I feel you though. Hope you feel better soon. You are such an inspiration for me!
    Thank you for being you! :=)
    Have a wonderful week!
    Much love, Len
    XO

8. August 14, 2017 / 10:49 am

I’d like to think it’s also due to summer and perhaps due to Instagram too though hahah. The combo of summer, people’s families being off work/school and IG being annoying equals a desire to take some time off. Xx

9. August 14, 2017 / 11:02 am

Gorgeous dress! You have to ask yourself if this rut is about what you do or what sponsors wants you to do? So simple! Working for money kills the creativity!

10. August 14, 2017 / 11:56 am

I am definitely in a rut right now. I’m running out of ideas plus I have no new clothes to shoot and I really can’t buy anything at the moment. It sucks!

Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

11. August 14, 2017 / 12:09 pm

I feel you! I have a love/hate relationship with Instagram! Love the color of your dress! It looks gorgeous on you!

Jill
    Doused in Pink

12. August 15, 2017 / 10:42 am

I totally feel the same. It seems like it’s more like a business than an actual fun thing now and days. It’s still fun through, but it is more serious and superior now and days.

13. August 15, 2017 / 11:11 am

Oh girl, I’ve been just sitting on my sofa thinking why is it that I feel so unmotivated towards blogging lately!! And what should I say? You’ve pretty much summed up all the points going through my head and I really hope the blogosphere will get over this phase soon!

XX from Germany
    Jecky
    Want Get Repeat

14. August 15, 2017 / 8:04 pm

I am not in a funk yet, but I get my moment when I am not feeling it and I just want to skip posting on Instagram and my blog. But another day I am so inspired and want to share stuff on my instagram stories and taking new images to my blog. But blogging is fun most of the time.
    PS your dress is so pretty.

15. Jessi Malay
    August 16, 2017 / 1:48 pm

Love your dress babe, digging those vintage vibes<3 I feel you girl. It sucks when a passion/hobby suddenly feels like work, hope you get out of this funk soon!

XO, Jessi

16. August 17, 2017 / 8:03 am

I am so with you! It has become so hard lately to continue creating and sharing content, especially with all of instagrams changes. I try to just focus more of my time and energy on the things about blogging/instagramming that I love, so it feels less like a chore and more like the fun and creative thing it once was!
    x Emily

17. Velvet Blush
    August 17, 2017 / 12:21 pm

I actually had a bit of a long break, so I’m feeling quite inspired at the moment x

Velvet Blush

18. August 17, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I understand your frustrations! I think this is all but normal to feel that way. Just keep looking for inspiration and focus back on what got you started to get out of that funk. PS – looks like this can give me that inspiration I need to unleash that creativity again!

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

19. Yana
    August 17, 2017 / 7:43 pm

This was an interesting read. I totally agree with you about how difficult it is to be a blogger sometimes, especially when it comes to growing following on Instagram because of the new algorithm.

Btw you look gorgeous in photos! 🙂

20. August 18, 2017 / 7:08 am

I’m totally in a rut too. Not only have I had less free time to blog and take pictures, but I just haven’t felt inspired in terms of putting together outfits, editing photos, writing posts. It’s just not as fun as it used to be and I find myself being hung up on my numbers and stats on social media when I really shouldn’t be. Here’s hoping we get out of the rut together!
    Julia・Little Miss Haute Couture

21. August 22, 2017 / 7:25 am

I think it is natural to fall into a rut if you have been doing something for a long time. I have been blogging since 2010 and I have had my moments when I needed a break and I just quietly take a week to myself and then I am fine again. I think what makes it harder for some is relying too heavily on validation by others and the need to acquire the most likes. Since that has never been my motivation I am always inspired but I am not your typical style blogger (I do not do a lot of personal style posts, I feature art, artists, and other creative inspiration) so I do not feel as much pressure as others to have the perfect venue, pose, or showcasing an endless array of clothing.
    LaToya

22. August 23, 2017 / 10:26 pm

Um I’m ordering that dress. It is absolutely stunning, and that color is AMAZING. You look so gorgeous!

Also, I agree… I’ve literally been in a blogging funk for over a year. Now it’s time for me to resume again, so your post couldn’t have come at a better and more relevant time! <3

23. August 24, 2017 / 6:56 am

I am right there with you, I feel like I have been in a blogging rut. With the change of season, back to school, being over whelmed with my schedule and frankly underwhelmed with fashion and style currently, I have felt uninspired. I do however love this dress on you, the color is gorgeous!

xx, Elise

24. August 25, 2017 / 5:57 am

First, that’s such a beautiful dress on you! 🙂

Second, I’m not sure I’m best placed to comment on the blogging rut – I’m not a big blogger, I’m one of those quick outfit of the day photo takers. I use the same spot every morning to get a photo, haha.

I will say instagram can be frustrating at times when my feed shows me things from 30 minutes ago and then 2 or 3 days ago, it’s so hard to stay caught up with the community on there as you never seem to see what people post, so I can see why that would frustrate when you want more likes on photos. Sadly I don’t have any good advice, other than for a blog to blog waht makes you happy – whatever that will look like!

Hope you are having a good week and feel more motivated soon 🙂

Away From The Blue Blog